Flu is one of the most common diseases and has its own share of miserable symptoms. The symptoms include cough, cold, nasal congestion, sore throat, body aches and chills. Although it lasts only a few days but all of its symptoms attack us at once and we pray for relief from them. Prescription drugs and medicines hardly help us in case of flu and we need to follow some home remedies to get respite from these symptoms.
Here are a few wonderful home remedies that help relieve the flu patients of the symptoms and greatly improve their health and well-being:
- Keep Your Body Hydrated: Flu is associated with vomiting and diarrhea that sometimes get serious and can leave your body dehydrated. The dehydration drains off the body’s energy completely leaving the patient exhausted and weak. Thus in order to keep the body hydrated, you need to take fluids regularly and this may also include oral rehydration solution that can be prepared using sugar, salt and water.
- Drink Hot Fluids: Soups and hot milk are wonder therapies during cold that provide relief from nasal congestion and help the body recover from the phlegm and mucus that gets accumulated in the body. Also to ensure the body stays protected from toxins, the patients should abstain from alcohol during flu.
- Take Garlic Milk:Garlic milk is a wonder therapy for flu patients and greatly reduces the mucus inside the body to improve breathing. Crush a few pieces of garlic in milk and boil it for about fifteen minutes along with turmeric powder. Consume the milk and the crushed garlic before going to bed.
- Take In Humid Air: Vaporizers are a boon during flu as the moist air that gets into the body provides relief from sore throat. Do take in moist air at least twice a day.
- Eucalyptus Oil:Eucalyptus oil cuts the phlegm in the body and greatly relieves of the symptoms of flu. Consuming the steam of a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water before going to bed greatly relives flu patients and also lets them get good sleep.
- Nasal Irrigation Helps: Nasal irrigation is one of the oldest yet most effective ways of getting relief from blocked nose. You can buy a nasal irrigator and use it every morning. The irrigator pours in water from one nasal hole and tilting the head at a certain angle lets the water drain out from the other hole. This is an old Ayurvedic practice that helps improve the overall body health.
- Take Steam Bath: Similar to vaporizing, steam bath also helps get rid of various flu symptoms including congestion and body aches. The steam bath can be easily prepared at home simply by pouring hot steaming water in a tub. Try it for a great sleep.
So the next time flu hits you, do not suffer quietly without any help and try out these home remedies to get some relief from the miserable symptoms.